Sunday, January 25, 2015

More Norfolk Southern Heritage Units

This is primarily a blog about researching and modeling the Nickel Plate Road around southern Ohio, but I will also use it occasionally to highlight other cool train stuff I happen to experience.

Ever since Norfolk Southern painted 20 new engines in various old predecessor paint schemes, my son and I have tried to hunt down and see as many as we can. Not living next door to a NS mainline makes this somewhat difficult, so we use heritageunits.com to help plan ahead when possible. Last Monday we caught the Illinois Terminal unit in a stroke of luck at Berea, but today was a perfectly timed operation to catch a rare heritage double header!

While working a Sunday shift, I noticed on the heritage units website NS train 24M heading east out of Goshen, IN at 8:30 AM with the Conrail and the Penn Central engines. What a perfect engine combo! As the day went on I realized there might be enough time when I got off work to head to Hudson, OH, which is the fastest point to drive to from Akron on the ex Pennsylvania's Cleveland & Pittsburgh line.

In a fit of last minute planning, my awesome wife and son grabbed my camera and met me at work to speed off to Hudson together and intercept train 24M which had just passed through Berea. We arrived in Hudson 20 minutes later, then waited another 20 in the falling snow on the pedestrian overpass at Colony Park. Finally we were rewarded!

Norfolk Southern 24M with heritage units Conrail 8098 and Penn Central 1073, Hudson, OH 1-25-2015, Chris Ellis Photo

NS 24M with heritage units Conrail 8098 and Penn Central 1073, Hudson, OH 1-25-2015, Chris Ellis Photo

Afterwards we quickly headed to the nearby Starbucks to warm up with a celebratory treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment