Sunday, July 2, 2017

A "Key" Engine Addition

I almost chose to not model the Adena area on the NKP's Wheeling district due to one thing, lack of inexpensive/easy to find Wheeling & Lake Erie-type Berkshire. In my mind the ex-W&LE K-1 Berkshires were a signature engine that would easily identify my layout as set in the NKP's Wheeling District. Renamed into the Nickel Plate's S-4 class and numbered 801-832, they looked similar to NKP Berks but with a few differences such as the disc-like Boxpox drivers. Without this engine I felt like it would be like trying to model the 1950's Union Pacific in Wyoming without it's signature Big Boys. 

Eventually the urge to recreate the NKP's coal operations in Appalachia Ohio became too irresistible. Research proved I could fill the S-4 engine gap with S and S-1 Berkshires, H-5 and H-6's Mikados that were bumped to the Wheeling by new diesels arriving elsewhere. The remaining I-3 2-6-6-2's, ex-N&W 4-8-2's and M-1 Heavy Mikados would help mark this layout as Wheeling territory as those engines never left their home rails. With this new approach to building a steam roster I could bide my time and wait for an opportunity to acquire Key Imports NKP (exW&LE) S-4's or possibly figure out a way to kitbash the Proto 2000 or Bachmann Berkshires into a S-4. 

Finally this past fall, thanks to a fellow NKP modeler switching to O scale, I finally managed to add a S-4 by Key Imports to the roster. Hopefully over the years to come I can add a couple more to my fleet, but for now she's my pride and joy!


10 comments:

  1. Greetings Chris ... best July 4th wishes to you and your family. I vicariously relived your "pain" as you wrote about the unavailability of a Wheeling Berk. I even contacted a custom locomotive builder but the cost became prohibitive ... I gave up ... you did not and now you have been rewarded with a signature locomotive ... congratulations! Continued best wishes as you build a great replica of an under-modeled area. Hopefully I will live long enough to see your dream fulfilled ... like i said, I am enjoying the journey "vicariously."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see I wasn't the only one that felt uneasy modeling the Wheeling with out their Berkshires. Wish I had more but happy to have one!

      Delete
  2. That's a nice looking model and a great acquisition for your layout. I've always wanted to get a first hand review from someone with a Key Imports model as far as quality. It looks nicely detailed and well constructed from the photo. You going to paint it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Detail quality is fantastic, the drive needs some work but so do most brass engines. I am scared to death to paint it. If I do decide to paint it, I have some other brass to hone my skills on first.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your acquisition Chris! It's always wonderful when we can get the "KEY" locomotive for our layout (I see what you did there – very clever :-)

    As it happens, one of the key locomotives for my layout is a Key Imports New Haven class J-1 Mikado. Thankfully (or, rather, unfortunately…) Attrition in the hobby has resulted in some of these models becoming available in recent years – so I have two in my stable now :-)

    As far as running quality, I expect yours is probably the same as mine - runs great right out of the box with no additional work even though it's been sitting for well over 30 years. Of course, I'll do a clean and lube before painting it and putting it into regular service… But rest assured, at least my experience has been that key locomotives or very nicely done indeed.

    Congratulations again - that engine looks absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, the drive needs a little work otherwise she looks great. I can't wait to get her in service but I'll take my time and do it right.

      Delete
  4. Chris

    Well, you have gone further with that engine then I did in 30 years!
    I don't think I ever put it on a piece of track!
    Looks good, but would be better in O scale!

    Jim Kehn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't thank you enough Jim! An O scale W&LE Berk would be an awesome thing to behold for sure!

      Delete
  5. Now that I am retired, I will have to see your & Jim's layouts. Since they are models in the area I hold close to my heart.

    Denny Snyder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I can get to a point of things running soon, you're more than welcome to come visit!

      Delete