Friday, April 1, 2016

A Visit to the Dentist

I've often seen people saying in various forums about going to their Dentist and receiving more than just a pain in the mouth. These people after telling their Dentist about their hobby, have asked if they could have any old (and sterile!) tools they might be on the verge of throwing out. Typically they claim to have received an assortment of picks and other things.

On Monday I had a regularly scheduled cleaning at my long time Dentist.  At the end of my appointment after he did his checkup I told I had an odd question for him. I explained about my hobby of modeling trains and if he had any old picks or other tools that I might have. I also noticed they weren't very busy so I felt my timing might be good for this kind of request.

He thought that was pretty neat and said he'd be glad to help. We looked all over and scrounged up a good handful of old tools. Even one of his hygienists volunteered some old picks that were broken on one side.

In the end I had an odd assortment of tools that I'll find good use for with soldering, scribing and other possible modeling activities. A big thanks to my Dentist and his staff!

The bounty of new modeling tools.
One of the tools I received is involved in doing Root Canals. The photo below shows this particular tool in all of its long pointy horror. I've had a few Root Canals done and I'm not sure I needed to know what tools were inserted into my open tooth.... Some things are best left unknown.

Holy %$&*

9 comments:

  1. Hah, nice grab. Who's your dentist, hopefully not the same as mine so you've cleaned him out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. He's up in the Richfield area. I'd say he had enough old stock for another 2 or 3 modelers, so no worries!

      Delete
  3. It really does look like an intimidating set of tools. I took my daughter for her first visit last week and we actually had a lot of fun. I think she will most likely grow up to be a surgeon of some sort because she loves the gore and blood and all of that and she thinks medicine is cool.

    Joanna @ Westheimer Dentist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the root canal tools are by far the most scary. You are lucky to have a rare child that doesn't mind a visit to the dentist!

      Delete
  4. Wow! What a neat idea. Who would have thought that you could get tools of the trade, so to speak, for your hobby from the place you are going to get your teeth cleaned at. I would definitely say that is some creative thinking on your part, there will be no end to the cool supplies you can get now.

    Elfrieda Sevigny @ Simmonds Dental Center

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elfrieda! I can't take credit for the idea, but the tools have already proved useful in helping me solder my trackwork.

      Delete
  5. That really was an impressive haul you made at your dentist office. I never even thought of asking my dentist because I just assumed they needed all the tools they had, so I bought my off auction sites. On my next trip for a cleaning I am asking the dentist and hopefully I can land a portion of the haul that you made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it doesn't hurt to ask. You might end up with quite the haul also!

      Delete